A spinal cord or other life changing injury can disrupt your life, and that of those around you in an unimaginable way. The level of disability and the level of independence that can be achieved will determine what accommodation is suitable.

This involves assessment as to whether the accommodation allows sufficient access, room and ability to circulate around the house, space, reducing dependence on others and preserving privacy and dignity wherever possible.

What might suit now might not be so suitable later as needs can change. Locality and availability of local amenities and a social life are also likely to need to be factored in as will the views of others who share (or perhaps own) the house.

Some need to organise only minor adaptations to the accommodation they were living in at the time of the injury or illness. Some will need moderate alterations and adaptation (lifts, conversion of downstairs toilets to wet rooms, door widening, access ramps, change of flooring). For others major alterations are necessary.

Sometimes a new property that can be adapted is needed or it might be that land is needed on which to build a new property specifically designed to meet needs identified. You should not have to pay VAT for some building work, and you may also be entitled to a Council Tax reduction. Mandatory disabled facilities grants for housing repair, adaptation and improvements are sometimes available from local authorities

A grant, which may involve making a financial contribution and will almost certainly take time to process (local authorities have six months to make a decision on the grant from the date of the application) can make some difference in making accommodation more suitable than it was. Sometimes home improvement agencies are also able to help.

Those who seek social housing assistance should ensure they are on a housing register. It is important to be clear about your requirements on that register. Most housing association properties are allocated via local authorities but some operate their own waiting lists and so it is worth contacting those directly. Aspire, a charity which supports those with a spinal injury to organise short term supported housing, might also be able to assist. 

Wherever possible engaging with an architect specialising in accommodation, adaptation, and design for those with life changing injuries is vitally important. Equally working with a project manager to ensure the building work runs smoothly is worth exploring. Help from spinal centres, from case managers, disability rights specialists, and home improvement agencies is almost always going to be useful.

Take a look at our video on how we can help adapt your accommodation so it works best for you.

Useful Websites

  • Linda Jones
      • Linda Jones
      • Director of Legal Services - Private Client
      • 01788 557588
      • 07974 087374
      • View profile
  • Jon Rees
      • Jon Rees
      • Partner & Head of Practice Area - Life Changing Injury
      • 01788 557617
      • 07772 081566
      • View profile
  • Allison Fitchett
      • 01788 557555
      • 07890 626393
      • View profile
  • Sian Buxton
      • 01788 557578
      • 07973 949225
      • View profile
  • Danielle Whitfield-Freer
      • 01788 557615
      • 07551 999226
      • View profile