RUGBY Offices

Private Client Department, Address: 16 Church Street, RUGBY, CV21 3PW, Telephone: + 44 (0) 1788 579 579, Fax: +44 (0) 1788 570 949

Conveyancing Department, Address: 26 Regent Street, RUGBY, CV21 2PS, Telephone: + 44 (0) 1788 551 611, Fax: + 44 (0) 1788 551 597

Commercial/ Wills, Trusts & Probate Departments, Address: The Robbins Building, 25 Albert Street, RUGBY, CV21 2SD, Telephone: + 44 (0) 1788 579 579, Fax: + 44 (0) 1788 552 888

LONDON Offices

2nd Floor Berkeley Square House, Berkeley Square, London, W1J 6BD, Telephone enquiries: +44 (0) 2078876590, Fax number: +44 (0) 207 8876001


Strathmore House, Waterperry Court, Middleton Road, BANBURY, OX16 4QD, General Telephone enquires: + 44 (0) 1295 270999

Child Abduction Solicitors

What is Child Abduction?

With international travel being popular and the relaxation of international borders for immigration, especially seen in Europe, the accessibility of the world’s countries becomes ever more obtainable for cross-border workers and those looking to relocate.

When separated parents live in differing countries, children can be involved in child abduction cases where the permanent residence of children is disputed by parents and guardians. Couples from different countries often cannot agree where the child should live, or in some instances, one parent chooses to move a child to a new country against the wishes of the other, or simply takes the child on holiday and never returns.

When a child is abducted against the wishes of a parent, the parent who has lost the child may feel desparate about the safety of the child and feel helpless to influence the outcome of an abduction scenario. Often the remaining parent may not speak the language of their spouse, may not know of the location of the child, or if they do, might not know if the child is with extended family members or being kept hidden. Legal steps are normally taken in these instances to help bring about the return of the child and/or an agreement about the future contact and parental access rights. In disputes, the court decides where a child should live.

The Law relating to Child Abduction

The International Child Abduction and Contact Unit ICACU is the Central Authority in England and Wales. Cases are governed by:

How can Brethertons Help with Child Abduction Cases?

We can help you in instances where you believe your child will be abducted overseas, or has already been taken. We will act quickly where a child has been taken without your consent. We will work out of our London Office with London barristers and the International Child Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU) to ensure your rights and those of the child are not abused. Court proceedings for International Child Abduction cases happen in the High Court of Justice in London and we will represent, support and advise you of the process and procedures involved, in a caring and sensitive manner.

Brethertons is on the Reunite Panel of Solicitors. Reunite is the leading UK charity specialising in international parental child abduction. More information can be found on their website.

The Brethertons’ family law department is one of less than fifty firms nationwide who are members of the Ministry of Justice’s Child Abduction (Hague Convention) Panel, appointed to handle international child abduction cases. We also have the benefit of fluent speakers in the following languages:

  • Spanish
  • French
  • Urdu
  • Punjabi

Contact Us

For more help and advice contact Simon Craddock, Partner, Tel: +44(0)1295 661430 (Mobile: +44(0)7967 471779) or John Doughty, Solicitor, Tel: +44(0)1295 661590 (Mobile: +44 (0)7972 621070)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More
Privacy & Cookies Policy